Saturday 22 March 2014

Don't Fret!

Last week I played that beautiful cello for the first time, and my goodness- it was a joyful noise. But really, I wouldn't put those sounds into the music category just yet!

Since then I've watched many, many tutorial videos on the D'AddarioBowed Youtube channel and have learned some important things like a proper bow hold and sitting position, how to do full bow strokes, and some left hand positions as well. It turns out that finding the right spot to put my left hand on the fingerboard is very tricky because cellos don't have frets like guitars do. Don't fret though, many teachers say that this will come easily after lots of time and practice. I have also discovered finger tapes that you put on the fingerboard to show the positions, but almost every teacher advises against it because it is better to learn by ear. I don't know, it seems like a good strategy to me!

Rainbow Cello© by Jenny Armitage




Here are a few practice drills that I will be starting over spring break:
 helicopters - picking up individual left hand fingers and hovering over the strings to build finger strength.
bow hold - laying the bow in my hand and positioning my fingers in the right place over, and over again.
wiggle bows - rocking the bow back and forth to find the perfect pressure to make a sound.          

No comments:

Post a Comment