Wednesday 7 May 2014

Landfill Harmonic

Believe it or not, my learning to play cello has already enriched the way I experience music.

On Sunday I was excited to see the Landfill Harmonic Recycled Orchestra perform at NKMB church. They are a group of students from Paraguay who have been a part of a remarkable program in their community. Living in the poorest slum of Cateura, these students (along with devoted teachers) began making orchestral instruments out of garbage from the landfill. The orchestra grew with the help of the Global Family Foundation and is currently on tour in Canada to raise money for a community centre back home.

The orchestra played alone and together with the MBCI band which was really cool. They had a musician from each band who played the same instrument come up and play together. The recycled alto saxophone sounded almost identical to the shiny new one that we would play in Canada.


Photo Credit to Rebecca Bertrand
and the providenceplace blog


 I especially enjoyed hearing from the girl who played the recycled cello. The body of her cello was a 30 litre oil can, the neck and scroll were carved wood from an old pallet, but I believe the bow and strings were commercially made. She was just as happy playing her cello made literally from garbage as I am playing my new one! It's so beautiful how music can bring joy to everyone- no matter their circumstances.

The musicians were waiting in the back to show people their instruments as we left the concert, and I fought the crowds to get to see the girl who played the cello. Although she couldn't speak much English, she understood that I had just started learning and handed it over for me to play! I was honoured to play her instrument- it was a great moment that I won't ever forget!

I could go on and on about the musicianship and uniqueness of this orchestra, but I'll leave it at that today.
It's interesting that until now, I haven't though of my piano, cello, and trombone as possessions God has blessed me with. Access and money to buy instruments has definitely made it on to my "Thank you God" list!


The keys of a recycled alto saxophone.
Photo Credit to Rebecca Bertrand
and the providenceplace blog

2 comments:

  1. I've totally heard of the landfill harmonic before that's so awesome that you got to see that! & even cooler that you got to play her cello too! Can't wait to see the progress you've made when you do your presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! It was a very cool experience!

      Delete